Don't worry, be happy






On my way to the airport in Berlin just so much went wrong that at one point, I was certain to miss the plane. With my last bit of hope and outright stubbornness of getting to Amman today, I called a cab. Anxiously I asked the driver to hurry. Surprisingly, my driver told me he had lived in Amman for 1 year. Originally from Damascus, he lives in Germany since 1990 but decided to spend time in Jordan to have his children grow up – at least for a while – in the midst of Arabic culture. After painting me a beautiful picture of life in Amman, he suddenly said something that eased my anxiety at once: “Don’t be too ‘German’ while in Jordan.” He explained how Germans tend to stress out when small travel-troubles arise while they encounter the foreignness abroad. Judging from my own observance, he was just so right: When I was living in Canada, I adapted a certain don’t-worry-it’ll-be-fine- attitude. This has been the result of the demonstration effect which describes the phenomenon of foreigners adopting some behavioral patterns of another culture or lifestyle during their touristic endeavors and their visit of unfamiliar terrain. Some tourists even incorporate some of these aspects into their own daily life.[1]
That I had left behind ‘German anxiety’ while in Canada, occurred to me upon my family’s visit. Smilingly I observed just how German-touristy they were. And now my driver told me to take it easy and to approach Jordan with curiosity, openness and above all with calmness. I decided to take these wise words to heart; In stark contrast to the German foreign ministry[2] – these were just the best travel advice I could have asked for! I wonder if at some point our group will be doing it the Jordanian way.


[1] Stephen Williams, Tourism Geography (London: Routledge, 2009). See: Chapter 6 “Socio-cultural relations in tourism.” For the demonstration effect see: 138-139.
[2] Auswärtiges Amt, 'Jordanien: Reise- Und Sicherheitshinweise', last modified 2015, accessed August 20, 2015, http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/DE/Laenderinformationen/00-SiHi/JordanienSicherheit.html.


The journey to Amman begins - thanks to my taxi driver I already feel more relaxed

3 comments:

  1. What a perfect beginning for travelling to Jordan!
    And a perfect "instruction" for German tourists aus well ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you ever discovered other lifestyles and cultural habits when you travel in another country that you wished to incorporate in your own daily life?
      Like, having siesta, eating/drinking certain things or adopting a more I-got-all-the-time-in-the-world kind of attitude?

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete