Meeting of the cultures



Is Jordanian hospitality purely a deeply manifested Jordanian attribute or the result of a development towards a deeply embedded tourist industry? This must not be mutually exclusive, yet, designated research could assess to what extent the tourist business influences local culture.

An intriguing research approach to tourism study is the investigation of impacts that tourists and locals have on one another. I mentioned the demonstration effect that describes the phenomenon of disclosing an unfamiliar lifestyle, culture or value system and attempting to adapt to it. Besides my previous example,[1] this effect may also describe locals in the tourist business adapting to Western (or other) customs.[2] While this is a one-way phenomenon, the acculturation effect marks a reciprocal effect:
a demonstration from the local on the tourist and from the tourist on the local. This means that a tourist-local encounter is rich of cultural exchange and adaption.[3]  The resulting acculturation impacts are part of a greater range of forces that foster socio-cultural changes more generally. Tourism thus is one of many independent variables that generate socio-cultural change.[4]

Reflecting upon this, I wonder if Jordan’s reputation as a modern-western country is related to its tourist experience. As one independent variable, the significance of (‘Western’) tourism for the country probably influences its attitude and relation to ‘the West.’ At the same time, (‘western-’ and ‘non-western’) tourists visiting Jordan – like myself – may increase their understanding of and may alter their attitude towards the Middle Eastern (Islamic) culture. This indicates a positive impact for the country’s reputation in the world community, and it fosters cultural understanding.[5]

I believe a longer stay abroad and more intercultural conversations generate positive acculturation effects. Despite our tourist bubble, I had memorable encounters with local Jordanians. My cultural horizon was broadened even more through my fellow international tourists company. 


[1] See my previous account on the demonstration effect in the entry “Don’t worry, be happy.”
[2] Stephen Williams, Tourism Geography (London: Routledge, 2009). See: Chapter 6, p. 138-139.
[3] Ibid., p. 139.
[4] Ibid., p. 145.
[5] Ibid., p. 146.

'Westerners' enter the Islamic museum

Barbie doll meets Arabic culture

Meeting of the cultures: Beibei was trying on souvenir clothing when a Jordanian entered and said: "Look, we are wearing the same dress"

1 comment:

  1. I remember my first night waking up by the call for the Fajr prayer. After the first moment of surprise I thought to myself, how cool: I am in an Islamic country now.

    ReplyDelete